Pages

Monday, 20 March 2017

Bruges Lace Museum

Whilst in Bruges we visited the Lace Museum. To be honest I don't think the hubby was all that enthused to begin with but by the end he was really interested.
Bruges is a huge centre for Lace. there is actually a Lace School there where people all over the world can go and study.
I used to make lace many years ago and visiting the museum has made me itchy to restart. My only issue is what I would use it for as there's only so many book marks, hankerchief edgings you can use.

When you see the pics just bear in mind that it's all hand made and in many cases done by candle light.










The photo below has minute pearls sewn into the lace. They are practically invisible they are so small


This last pic was known as Witches Lace as at the time ( 18th century) it was thought that no human could make something so fine without the help of magic


I think I'm going to have to look up lace making kits as the more I look at the pics the more I want to restart.

2 comments:

  1. My neighbour makes lace . Although I admire her greatly I don't have the fingers for it , or the patience . It has too low a return for me too

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback on what I sew so would love your comments. It's a chance to make new friends. I do reply to all of you as long as you are not a no-reply xxxx