Pages

Wednesday, 24 August 2016

A Beginning

I've printed out all the paper piecing patterns and cutting instructions for Sleeping under the Stars.


 Before I started on the real quilt I thought I'd make up a practise block to check out the pattern and sizes. I used scrappy low volume for the backgrounds and each star is a different colour from my scraps pile.


The block finishes at 24" and there will be 16 in the finished quilt. I must admit I really like this block/mini quilt. I'll be sandwiching it up at a later date so I can do a run through on the quilting for the big quilt. I'll then use it as a table topper/wall hanging.

These are the fabrics I'll be using. Most are from my stash and a few I picked up in Birmingham at the quilt show. I'll be using the plain white for the background.



Yesterday I started on the real quilt. Here are the 16 friendship stars paper pieced and ready to be sewn together.

I'm paper piecing them as they finish at 5" and I think I'll get more accuracy doing it this way than trying to rotary cut the pieces. I'll be sewing these together today and then I can start on the large star points which I'm  also paper piecing.

4 comments:

  1. Well done.Can´t wait to see them joined.Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Gina I adore this block! I've been pp this past week too...moooo....more cows. This will be a pretty huge quilt right? Love your fabric pull

    ReplyDelete
  3. B beautiful block Gina and such a good idea to keep one and have a run-through of the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have great patience Gina . By the time I made a 24" block it would be an intrinsic part , not just practice

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback on what I sew so would love your comments. It's a chance to make new friends. I do reply to all of you as long as you are not a no-reply xxxx