Pages

Wednesday, 22 July 2015

Classic meets Modern BOM

OK so last year I took part in a BOM run by Erin at Sew At Home Mummy. It was a nice simple one ( or that was the idea).
Each month she gave us the instructions to make a classic block and/or a modernised version of the same block. She also encouraged us to play around ourselves with the blocks.  I was doing really well in keeping up but for some reason I fell by the wayside. For the past 6 months I've only had one block to do. Not anymore though. I've finally finished all the blocks.
So, with an EQ mock up of the originals my blocks are

January - Bears Paw


 This is the only block I didn't play around with. Unfortunately I don't think I have enough fabric left  to make another.

February - Amethyst




March - Drunkards Path





April - Double Z



May - Dresden Plate




June - Log Cabin



July - Starflower/Lemoyne Star




August - Churn Dash



 September - Maple Leaf




October - Flying Geese



November - Rolling Stone




December - Christmas Star






 I'm not sure when I'll get them all together in a quilt. I'm not even sure how I'll put them together as I don't want a traditional sashed setting, even though I've sewn a narrow sashing to each block. Having had a look through EQ7 I quite like this one


It probably won't be exactly the same but it's a starting point.

11 comments:

  1. Wonderful blocks and a fun idea for the layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Love your blocks. Your modern blocks are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't wait too long to put them together please, your blocks are fabulous and need to be shared! Looking forward to seeing them together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is amazing how a small change impacts on a block

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gina: It's good to have you back in the quilting world. I love your blocks. I think my favourite is the dresden plate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful block! Love your colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful block! Love your colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely modern quilt sampler!! so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very creative variations!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on finishing! I'm so impressed by your inventiveness with the twists you put on the classic blocks, I can't even choose a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey! Woohooo!! Way to go, getting that last one done up. It's not a huge change, but I do really like the corners sewn off that way. It's fun to see all the blocks together in the post - some of those are tremendous tranformations! Lots of creativity here, and can't wait to see how you put them together. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback on what I sew so would love your comments. It's a chance to make new friends. I do reply to all of you as long as you are not a no-reply xxxx