Pages

Friday, 31 July 2015

A Demanding Client

I had to make a mini quilt this week for a very demanding client.........my daughter. It's a birthday gift for her friend.
She'd bought a screen printed panel with a quote from Harry Potter and wanted me to make it into a wall hanging/table topper. She pulled the fabric from my stash, even choosing the backing and binding fabric.


The panel was 12" square and the finished quilt measures 24" square. I used a grey on white as a plain first border, blue and white 4 patch for the second border and finally the grey and white plain border. It's bound in plain grey.


The centre is quilted in pale blue. I've outlined the letters as I've gone along. I've quilted peacock feathers either side of the word flick, in white, and next to swish I've quilted in some lightening streaks. You can just about make these out.


 The first border is quilted in a serpentine pattern in white. The chequerboard is quilted in diagonals in white and then loops in each of the 4 patches in pale blue. The final border is quilted in white again. Two parallel lines are filled in with circles.


And the back showing all the quilting

 This was yesterday's sewing and the binding was hand sewed down this morning so daughter can take it to work today for her friend's birthday.
It has passed her severe inspection and payment will be a box of chocolates.

I'll be linking up to all the Friday finishes shown HERE

14 comments:

  1. Your daughter sounds like an awesome client to me! :D And the end result is stunning - you make a great team, clearly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful piece. Enjoy your chocolates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly wonderful . . . love the phrase swish and flick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could this be the first step in your daughter's own career as a quilter?! I love that she chose the fabrics, contributing to the creative process. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's gorgeous - definitely a way to entice your daughter into quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful mini! Working for chocolates! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, chocolates. The very best kind of payment from a demanding client! Bravo to you in getting that done on short notice. I really like the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful piece - yourclinet must have been very pleased with it, I am so glad. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well of I meant - your client!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You should up your rates! Then again, double the boxes of chocolate could get one into trouble. Lightening streaks is a brilliant idea, and your quilting is beautifully detailed. If she discovers Fandom in Stitches (http://www.fandominstitches.com/2015/07/harry-potter-bookcase-quilt-along.html) you'll have your work cut out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can imagine your daughter was over the moon and her friend was super excited to receive this quilt! I think the Swish & Flick show up beautifully with your quilting! Brilliant quilting choices and your daughter has a great eye for color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's great your daughter and friend have shown an interest . And are obviously very discerning

    ReplyDelete
  13. What stunning quilting!! This small quilt is a delight, what a lucky friend to have a gift like this from your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilting here is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback on what I sew so would love your comments. It's a chance to make new friends. I do reply to all of you as long as you are not a no-reply xxxx